A brief and simple introduction to uploading a video to your YouTube account.
Step 1: Go to YouTube
If you see the icon for your account (location circled below) skip to Step 3.
If instead there is a button there that says "Sign in" click that and proceed to Step 2.
Step 2: Sign In
Enter your prspirit.org Google login information and Sign in now.
Step 3: Go to YouTube's Creator Studio
If this is your first time uploading a video we first need to setup some privacy settings.
- Click your Google Account icon
- Click the "Creator Studio" button
Step 4: Channel Settings
- In the CREATOR STUDIO menu to the left click on the drop down arrow next to "CHANNEL" then,
- Click on "Upload defaults"
Step 5: Default Settings to Change
- Click on the box for Privacy
- Make sure "Private" is selected
- Uncheck the box next to "Allow comments"
- Uncheck the box next to "Users can vote on comments"
- Uncheck the box next to "Users can view ratings for this video"
- Uncheck the box next to "Allow viewers to contribute subtitles and closed captions"
- Uncheck the box next to "Make video statistics on the watch page publicly visable"
- Click "Save"
Step 6: Uploading the Video
At the top right of your window, click the "Upload" button (circled).
Step 7: Select the Video File - Locally Stored
If your video is saved to an external device, C:, or Z: drive these steps are for you. If your video is already saved to your Google Drive skip to Step 8.
To select the video to upload to YouTube:
- Click on the arrow button to trigger the "Open" window to pop up (or you can drag and drop the file into the upload space, as illustrated by the yellow arrow)
- Find and select the video you wish to upload
- Click the "Open" button
Proceed to Step 10
Step 8: Select the Video File - From Google Photos
This will save you some time if you have already uploaded your video to Google Photos. See the guide on "How to Upload a Video to Google Photos" for more information.
Step 9: Choose a Google Photos' video
A new window with a list of your Google Photos video files should open
- Select the file you want added to YouTube
- Click on the "Select" button
Step 10: Waiting for the Upload to finish
You should now be taken to a page that shows the uploading percent. Make sure you keep this window open until it says it has finished.
Step 11: Modify or Save Video
Once the video file is done uploading to YouTube you can make some changes such as the title or description. Whenever you're finished click the "Done" button (circled).
Step 12: Confirmation Page
The next page to load will confirm your video is ready to go, as well as give you a link that you can share so other people can see it.
Step 13: Back to the Creator Studio - Final Checks and Security Settings Explained
From the YouTube Creator Studio, under "VIDEO MANAGER" there is a "Videos" link that will load a page with all the YouTube videos you currently have uploaded.
Note the icons on the right (three of them have been circled):
- Shows a Padlock. This means the video is set to "Private". Private videos can only be viewed by people you have shared them with. This is the most secure as you actively control who can watch it.
- Shows a Link. This means the video is set to "Unlisted". Unlisted videos can be seen by anyone that has the specific link or address to the video (eg. www.youtube.com/videourl). This is semi-secure as people need the know the link already to see it, but you can't limit the viewers yourself or stop others from unauthorized sharing.
- Shows a globe. This means the video is set to "Public" Public videos are not secure at all. They show up on YouTube for the whole world to see. Public Videos are bad. I'm going to leave you and go change that right now.